Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cowboy Town

Our first trip off the west coast was a success! The plane ride to Austin, Texas was a breeze! Landon basically looked like this the entire 2 flights:

Mommy and daddy were so happy! But then came the time change. Mind you he was still getting over his Bronchiolitis so that flemmy breathing was still there. He became uber fussy the 2nd day.
He would not allow us to stop at stop lights while driving without screaming. He would not sleep in the pak-n-play that night as every time we laid him down, he screamed. So the first night he spent lying on the floor between 2 rolled up blankets. I thought for sure Lauren & Jason were going to be irritated with the constant awakes in the night.

The 2nd day (my bday!) we went to downtown San Antonio. It was a little warm that day but was nice to walk around after such a long flight the day before. We walked to the Alamo and I confess I had NO IDEA what that was until we got there. I know...I'm terrible with my history. Whatev! Anyway, seeing as it was March Madness Sweet 16 weekend (in San Antonio) there were basketball fans everywhere! I mean I saw more Kansas fans than I see Trail Blazer fans in Oregon! We walked around the Alamo and down the Riverwalk.




It was gorgeous and Landon slept most the time.....only after we got him his very own Texas Longhorns hat. Adorable. The Texas hat came after we attempted to get him this hat...


But we decided it was too in the way. So ball cap it was. We had planned to go out to a cowboy dance hall for my birthday that night but with Landon so fussy we weren't comfortable leaving him with someone we didn't know and worry about whether or not he was screaming all night. So we stayed in and played games. It was more fun than going out would be. Getting that interaction time with friends is so important to me and being able to connect and laugh and be goofy was just what we needed.

Day 3 we went to the San Marcos outlets and man when they say everything is bigger in Texas they aren't kidding. Those outlets were the biggest outlets I've ever seen. We didn't even get to half of them! Landon was fussy there as well so we didn't last long. But at one point he did fall asleep (that was like Brent's goal...to get him asleep so that Brent could relax a little) And so he celebrated...


Day 4 we went to a Bass Pro Shop. Have you ever been to one of those? Oh man it was so cool! Giant live fish tank, game area, restaurant, all sorts of outdoor gear, cute as ever baby clothes and on and on. Sportsman Warehouse really had nothing on Bass Pro Shop. So we dreamed of owning boats and took pictures.




On our last day in Texas we spent most of the day in Austin. We didn't get to see too much of the city but the downtown totally reminded me of Portland. Very urban and trendy. Lots of pedestrians and cyclists. I liked it. We ate at a very yummy place that had excellent service. All in all it was a great trip and I was able to spend some much needed time with my friend. We loved that our husbands got along so well seeing as they didn't even know each other. We'll see if being with Landon was a form of "birth control" for them. haha! kidding ;)





Don't you think they look good with a baby? (*wink wink*)

Happy travels.



1 comment:

  1. I love this blog!!! It was so fun reading the day by day account of your visit!!! We LOVED having you here and our house is so quiet now! Can't wait to come visit you guys!!!!

    ReplyDelete