Thursday, May 5, 2011

On this day...

To my sweet loving son. You will not remember this day as a history maker but you will read about it in your books and hear about it in your history class. So let me tell you what you will one day understand. May 1st will never be the same in the eyes of Americans. For the past 10 years our country has been at a war that is so controversial throughout our great nation. That war was started on Sept 11, 2001 when I was a sophomore in high school. As I'm sure most people can attest, I remember exactly what I was doing that day. My dad came to wake me up and turn on my tv to show me that the twin towers were just destroyed by terrorists. Granted I was a sophomore just waking up,I was truly confused as to what he was talking about. "Watch this!" he says. Ok dad I'm still trying to wake up so bear with me here. My eyes became like glue to the tv. It was like I was watching a movie except it was real! It's hard to grasp the reality as this was happening all the way across the country and it was calm and quiet and sunny outside my window. Landon, there was a bad man in another country who didn't like America and so he sent a few of his people over here to crash our planes in a place that he knew would kill thousands and hurt the entire country. We spent 10 years searching for him. He was in hiding and on the move and eventually found a place to stay where he thought he would never be found...in a country that we were allies with. On May 1, 2011 our brave Navy Seals completed a mission that I am sure any military man or woman wanted to do. They found the bad guy, Osama, in a mansion in Pakistan and in 40 minutes were able to take him out for good. On this day, you were 4.5 months old. You still had your shoe braces on but you loved to roll all over the floor and jump in your jumper. On this day you made funny spit noises as your way of playing with us, you went to church and hung out in the nursery without even crying, you walked through a few open houses with mom & dad on a search to find a home you could grow up in. It was a good day for us as a family and us as a nation. Some people may tell you otherwise, that there was too much patriotic celebration over Osama's death and that's ok because everyone has their own views, as you will too one day. But this was a great victory for America and in my eyes, it's worth waving the American flag over. One man may have lost his soul, but I think it was gone way before we took his life. I would rather see one man who was in charge of mass murders lose his life than thousands more innocent people that just want to live a full and beautiful life. Not to mention the millions of people that were affected by the devastation this man caused.

On this day, you were so peaceful

No comments:

Post a Comment