Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Feeding Frenzies

So for the 1st 2 weeks of Landon's life, we were convinced we had a pissed off baby. We spent every other night or more sleeping on the couch because holding Landon was the only way he would sleep. He was like clock work...Every night about 1am he would scream and scream and there was no getting him calm. So...I would wake up my loving husband and tell him it's time to move downstairs. Feeding Landon was the only way to get him to sleep and continuing to hold him after that was the only way for everyone to get a little shut eye. By the 3rd week I finally called his pediatrician to get some advice. With the crying and all the tummy aches we thought it was a sensitivity to something in my milk...so we tried switching to a hypoallergenic formula to see if it was dairy causing the problem....I was so worried that it was because in that case I would have to take all dairy out of my diet...umm not sure how I would manage!!! HELLO!! Milk and cheese are my lifeline. So the bad news was the formula didn't help his tummy feel better but the good news is that meant it was not a dairy problem. Hooray! We went to the lactation nurse and the first thing she said was feed him more! He was not gaining nearly enough weight and his fussiness was because he was still hungry. So we doubled the food and put him into food comas at every feeding. What do you know?? He's a whole new baby! After 5 days on the food coma diet...or the "turkey dinners" as we call it, he gained 10 oz and is so much more content. I never thought that his crying would be his way of telling us he is a hog kid and wants more food! So FOOD FRENZY it is! Since we doubled the food, we still have to supplement since my milk isn't up to par with his need for so much but it's going well and it gives my husband the opportunity to feed him as well. Win Win Win!

Turkey Dinners!

No comments:

Post a Comment